Start a new topic
Answered

Uninformed medical bill

A debt collector called me about a bill that I didn’t know was existing for years now from a dental clinic. When I called my dentists office they confirmed my bill and turned it over to debt collector. I told them that I did not get any bill or a notice of any underlying debt. They said they have been sending the bill the the address on their file which is not my current address. But I haven’t received any phone calls nor email from the dental clinic about my bills. The dental office said that my insurance did not pay any of my medical bill and I am responsible for all of it. But I never knew about it, now my medical insurance is different from what I used before, and debt collector wants me to pay $3000 including fees and interest. What should I do?

Best Answer

Hi Tara, the first something someone should do when they receive a debt collection attempt is send the collector our Debt Validation Letter. This requires the collector to show proof of the debt. Often times they can't do that. Then, you can offer to settle by paying less than the amount they are trying to collect. 

Unfortunately, the scenario you described happens all the time even to conscientious bill-payers. Insurance companies and doctors aren't good at making it easy to pay stuff. 

1 Comment

Answer

Hi Tara, the first something someone should do when they receive a debt collection attempt is send the collector our Debt Validation Letter. This requires the collector to show proof of the debt. Often times they can't do that. Then, you can offer to settle by paying less than the amount they are trying to collect. 

Unfortunately, the scenario you described happens all the time even to conscientious bill-payers. Insurance companies and doctors aren't good at making it easy to pay stuff. 

Login or Signup to post a comment